LIP BALM DIY
Need a fun and easy project to keep the kids busy over the spring break? I workshopped this DIY lip balm recipe a couple of years ago at our open studio and it was a great hit! This recipe uses no icky ingredients, is super moisturizing, and its herbal and essential oil blend make it both healing and yummy tasting!
Lip Balm Tins or glass Jars
500 mL Olive Oil
2 oz Calendula
1 oz Chamomile
150 mL Herbal Infusion
150 mL Coconut Oil
15 mL Shea Butter
45 mL Beeswax
20 drops of Orange & Grapefruit Essential Oils (You can also choose your own favorite flavours)
3 mL Vitamin E
Phase One: Herbal Infusion
1. Place the herbs and the oil in a glass jar
2. Place the jar in in a double boiler or slow cooker on low temperature for 8-12 hours.
3. Strain the oil through a cheese or muslin cloth
4. This will leave you with a potent medicinal oil
Phase Two: Hot Pour
1. Heat herbal infusion over stove top on low temperature until warm to the touch
2. Melt coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter in warmed infusion. The beeswax may take a little longer to melt
3. At this point you may want to check consistency by dropping a small amount onto a spoon and allowing it to harden. If the consistency is too soft you can add more beeswax to the blend.
4. When mixture is completely melted turn off the heat and add the vitamin E and essential oils.
5. Pour immediately into glass jars or tins and let sit until cool.
6. Store in a cool, dry place.